Tuesday, May 8, 2012

[JT] Introductions and Farewell

The first of anything should be prolific, or at least a point from which you can launch yourself into future occurrences.  So for the first post of this blog, I was trying to figure out what would be the best way to start things off.  There are the ubiquitous introductions I could perform; who I am, where I'm from, what I'll be talking about in here.  All well and good, and I was ready to sit down and type out some frivolous little "Get to Know Me"... until I got a piece of news...

Kevin Pereira is leaving Attack of the Show at the end of May.  Now, you may be asking yourself "Who [or what] is this guy talking about?"  I'm talking about the man who has been my inspiration for doing something like this.  KP has been with G4TV for 10 years now (he said so himself.  http://www.kevinpereira.com/ ) and has been hosting Attack of the Show (arguably G4's flagship program) from the beginning.  Despite not having AOTS for a few years now (from a mix of being away at college and Dish Network no longer providing G4 to their customers), I have been an avid fan of the show since I first found it in '05/'06.  The hosts and the news they provide is presented in a way that is so enjoyable, so entertaining, that it drew me in.  I was hooked after the first episode.

Since then, there have bee a slew of revamps and refreshing of the show, its set, and its hosts, and each time the show went through a reincarnation, it came out looking better and more polished than its last cycle.  The one constant of AOTS (at least from a viewer's POV) has been KP.  Whether it's "Cottage Cheese Thighs", fat suits, bikinis, or hot sauce shots, he has done nothing but provide entertainment to the viewers.  To me though, he has done more than just host the show.  KP has been my inspiration and my idol from the very start.  It was because of him that I started the predecessor of this blog (the twitter account @NerdPop140), and now the blog itself.  It was because of him that I found the courage to start trying to report on all the nerd events and happenings that will be the focus of this blog.  His on screen charisma and all around obvious enjoyment for what he is doing, what he is talking about, shows that you can take what you love and make something of it; whether it be on a large scale (AOTS) or a small scale (my blog).   Without KP, I wouldn't be here.

So this is my thank you and farewell to Mr. Pereira; for entertaining me for all these years, for informing me all these years, and for enlightening and inspiring me for all these years.  Even though it doesn't mean much coming from someone like me, I wish him the best of luck, and I'm eager to see what he does next because there is no doubt in my mind that he will continue to be the man that shows me just what you can do when you do what you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment