Saturday, October 20, 2012

[JT] CGC: Magic: the Blendering 2

I sat here for 12.5 hours watching Pro Tour - Return to Ravnica today.  As round 15 wraps up and the top 8 were announced, I realized: Crap!  I haven't written anything for my post yet! >.<  So here I am, not sure what to write about.  My original idea was to do a deck discuss about my pride and joy of an EDH deck, but that deserves a larger post that has more time spent talking about it, so that will come later.  What I always do when I want to post something but can't formulate a topic?  I Blend[er] together multiple!

Pulse 1) Innistrad BLOCK Draft

So I get to my local game shop last night for FNM, and I get greeted with the information that they are out of Return to Ravnica (>.<).  Because of that, they decided to do an Innistrad block draft.  That means one pack of Avacyn Restored, one pack of Dark Ascension, and one pack of Innistrad.  For those of you that don't know this, the three blocks were not designed to be drafted together!  So the entire thing was a huge clusterfu- ...   a huge mess.  I ended up at 2-1 with a blue-black zombie deck with a Blood Artist and Diregraf Captain, only losing to a deck that was just a little bit quicker than mine.



Pulse 2) Load file: LINK

I'm constantly looking for ways to tweak decks, especially if it has something to do with the flavor.  If you all recall, I have an EDH deck based around The Legend of Zelda.  I have just this week decided to make two 'groups' of changes.

If you recall, before deciding that (despite her lack of a legendary super-type) Dawnray Archer makes the best Zelda in the deck, I was debating between Thada Adel, Inquisitor and Elspeth, Knight-Errant.  I'm bringing this up because Elspeth has been re-introduced to the deck, along with Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and Nissa Revane (yes... Nissa).  Why these three?  Well...  we have a courageous knight, a wise moonfolk, and a ... powerful... elf...?  Ok, the last one needs a bit more explaining, but I'll get to that in a second.  For those of you familiar with the origins of the Tri-Force, you know that it was created by three goddess: Farore, Goddess of Courage, Nayru, Goddess of Wisdom, and Din, Goddess of Power.






I wanted to include Elspeth because she powers up Link/Rafiq so well, but I had to find a way to make her fit the flavor.  The fact that she's a planeswalker makes her a unique being in the universe.  From there my brain slowly came to the thought of "what if the planeswalkers were confused for gods?  Hmmm... what gods are in the LoZ unive-OH MY GOD!"  From there it because a snap decision to include Elspeth and Tamiyo, two perfect embodiments of Courage and Wisdom (yes, Tamiyo... not Jace.  They're goddesses don't forget)...  and then I got to Power... with the only female green planeswalker... Nissa... Revane.  *sigh*







>.>  <.<  >.>  Ok...  has everyone who hates Nissa and think she's totally useless left?  Good.  If you're still here, then you win the prize and get to see how I reasoned my way into a new found appreciation for this elf-chick.  I wasn't too happy with it at first, but then I thought about it... and thought about... and realized how she embodies Power is by giving you a creature every turn, searching out her Chosen (2/2 that puts itself on the bottom of your library whenever he dies, so you can search him out again), and then Limit Breaking out into multiple creatures.  In my "world view" of Hyrule that I created, Power deals with creature power (and toughness), so she actually fits perfectly.

The other big change in flavor is I have finally found my "four" (actually three) giants from the Majora's Mask game.  I'll back up for a second though to talk about something else: the Fierce-Diety Mask.  This item was chosen for me by a member of The Mana Pool forums.  Eldrazi Conscription is an aura that SCREAMS Fierce-Diety Mask, and if you look closely, it is actually a Tribal Enchantment - Eldrazi.  I kick myself for not realizing it before, but that was perfect.  The Eldrazi have the scale and awe needed for giants that can [spoiler (highlight to read)]hold up the moon[/spoiler].








Pulse 3) Game Day

I'm skipping FNM next week to hit a haunted theme park with Jas (Casual Daze maybe?).  However, Saturday is Game Day, so my CGC next week will be a look at how my Deadeye Control deck does after making some tweaks to it (assuming I can make it to the tournament)


Ok.  I think that's enough.  I spent a lot more space/time on the Link EDH flavor than I was expecting, but you know how I get with flavor.  It excites me and I just can't stop once I get started.  I'm exhausted though, so I am going to leave it at this.  Next weeks CGC will be up on Saturday or Sunday (i.e. definitely not Friday night like I have been trying to do), so I will see you then, if not sooner.

-JT

No comments:

Post a Comment