Wednesday, October 31, 2012

[JT] This is Halloween! This is Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone!  For some of you, this is like Christmas in October.  If you're anything like me, you love the whole month.  Something about it just makes the spooky, spookier; the scary, scarier; the horror, horrorie... er...   (?).  >.>

Anyway!  I'm not the type that goes out to Halloween parties or trick-or-treating (lack of a social life has nothing to do with this... I swear...).  Instead, I like to turn out all the lights and just drown myself in horror movies, books, comics, anything.  It's kind of fitting for today since Halloween was postponed til Saturday here (for those of you that don't know, I live on the east coast, so we've been kind of waterlogged.  Nothing extreme, but the city decided it would be better to be safe than sorry).  So I'll be talking to you about my favorite things to entertain myself with during the horrorday season, kind of like a Random Fandom: Halloween meets Blender.

Pulse 4) Movies

The classic.  Whenever someone thinks of horror, the first thing that pops into their head 99.9 times out of a hundred (I can do fractions : P) are movies.  There are plenty of classics to fill your time with: Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, etc., etc.  But I want to brag about my elitist/hipster (read as: personal and for no good reason) horror sensibilities and talk about a few that you might not think of:


 
Scream
Without a doubt my favorite horror franchise, the Scream series is the closest to iconic horror that this list will get.  I think everyone knows the story and the infamous line, so I won't spend too much time on it.  I have to at least mention it though because of how well it blends the horror meta with comedy and terror.



Resident Evil
The only possible movie series that has even given Scream a run for its money as my favorite.  I will preface this with the fact that I have not played many of the RE games (4 being the only one that comes to mind that I even attempted before just watching my roommate play in all of his free time).  Most of the RE games came before my appreciation of horror; back when I would avoid it like the plague.  As such, I am viewing these as their own entity, separate from the games in almost every way (and from what I have heard, that is pretty much the only way to watch the movies and actually enjoy them).  The mix of Alice in Wonderland references as well as the gradual mutation of the virus, as well as the general bad-assery of the lovely Alice (Mila Jovavich) make this series one I can watch over and over again.




Trick 'r' Treat
A collection of Halloween vignettes, Trick 'r' Treat is my favorite Halloween-themed movie, but I am not too sure why.  Perhaps it's discovering how each story weaves together with the others, or perhaps it is just nice to finally see the movie after it got delayed for two whole years, but this is the ultimate Halloween movie that "You've never heard of" for me, and I know this will be how I end my night.


The Nightmare Before Christmas

Honestly, is there anything to say about Jack and his movie?  While not really a true horror movie in the sense we're used to, I can't think of a better movie to kick off any Halloween season, and the best thing about it is you can watch it all the way through to Christmas too!



Pulse 3) Comics

Cabbage poot.  YAY!
I've recently started reading the The Walking Dead comics when my love of the show left me wanting more after the season finale.  That by itself provides hours of material to read and enjoy, but there is another comic that I always get the urge to read around this time of the year: I Luv Halloween.  There is just enough comic gore and sick situations that you want to keep reading, but not so much that you end up disgusted.  There is a full color version that you HAVE to pick up if you want to feel all the effects of the stories... 


Pulse 2) TV shows

There are plenty of Halloween specials every year.  Some of my favorites are the original "Treehouse of Horror"'s from The Simpsons, but there are plenty of other classics; Boy Meets World had plenty of great Halloween episodes.   There are also a few series you might not have expected to have Halloween episodes, like Good Eats.  Yes, the Food Network show (still my favorite cooking show of all time) that mixed chemistry with the culinary had it's own Halloween themed episodes, including "The Bulb of the Night", where Alton tries to remedy a man named Vlad of his fear of garlic. O_o

Pulse 1) Creepypasta

I already talked about Creepypasta before in my very first Random Fandom, but it has to be mentioned again because they are the perfect thing to have on in the background while you are just mindlessly cruising the internet, or just too tired to do anything but lay in bed.  I also just wanted to reiterate how amazing Mr. Creepypasta's reading is.


Awh... we no longer have a pulse ( : P ).  So that's how I have been passing my time this month.  There is so much good horror out there that is just emphasized by the time of year.  I didn't even mention the After Dark Horrorfest series, or even horror anime.  Seriously, if you cannot find something creepy to send shivers down your spine, you're probably not looking at all, let alone hard enough.

How do you spend your Halloween?  Any epic costumes you were able to pull off this year?  Let me know in the comments.  And don't forget to tell me... What's your favorite scary movie?

-JT

No comments:

Post a Comment